Sunday, July 3, 2011

Life's a Hoot Column from Issue 6

Greetings to you, my reading friends!

Let’s see, it’s been a busy month.  On a personal note, in Pennsylvania I’ve finally moved into my room, thanks to my industrious son and his father-in-law who have worked like fiends to finish it, and the bathroom in the basement.  The window they installed means I have a sunny little room that makes me very happy, and though the bathroom is far from finished, the toilet is installed and working, which is all I need until they can get to the shower and sink.  So I am no longer sleeping in the middle of Grand Central Station otherwise known as my son’s living room.  Whew!

On a sad note, there has been a tragic loss in my Georgia family.  Roey, my wrinkled-butt dear friend has passed into brain-death due to complications during surgery.  Family members are flying in as I write this column, and by the time this issue of Owl's Eye View goes online Roey’s family will have allowed him to pass into the afterlife.  My love and prayers go with him, and certainly to my family in Georgia who are stricken deeply with the loss of such an energetic, loving, funny, and decent man who was loved by one and all.  I’ll miss you Wrinkle-Butt!  


On a happier note, I am feeling great relief at having my toes fixed.  They are healing as I write, and I am grateful to Dr. Alexander Terris and his staff  for their skill and for the hilarious conversation I had during the procedure that was almost better than the Novocain…almost.

So this month came with a little happiness, a little stress-relief, and sadly, some grief.  Life goes on and on.

And so I come to this issue of Owl's Eye View:

First off, let me tell you that I have a book called People of Owl’s Nest, that is a listing of everyone in Owl’s Nest, with their descriptions and background information.  I keep these notes so that when I use on-going characters in novels and short stories, there is believable continuity and my readers don’t have to email me saying I screwed up someone’s eye color or lineage, or who was waiting tables at Paula’s Pantry in 1932, or who were the cops on duty in 2001.

Nathan Williams was in my office the other day while I was skimming through People of Owl’s Nest looking up background information for a story.  He started nosing through my People of Owl’s Nest notes and asked if he could publish them in his column.  Knowing how organized and professional he is, I figure it can only be a good thing to let him have at it.  Knowing Nate, he’ll probably dig up stories I didn’t even know took place—so look for segments of People of Owl’s Nest in “Swooping Through the Years” in future issues.

However, this issue, Nathan writes about his own personal experience with the Holden estate.  Consider it a little warm-up for the first excerpt of my novel, “Into the Mist,” which appears in this issue.  Hope you enjoy both.

In “From the Perch” Meredith Alden covers more of her family history with a story about her curious travels into the past to learn about her great-grandmother, Maggie.  Interesting read.

“On the WindSpirit” contains a vital message from an abuse victim.  All I’m saying.  Read the column and take heed.

Larry Nunn comes across a surprise in the Music Niche that spurs his “Screech On!” column for this issue.  Sheer ookiness!

Macabre Mirth is, well, macabre as usual.  “Amputation” will surely ook you out, and leave you hoping you aren’t the friend Melanie Mirth is writing about.  (Just kidding Mel!)

My short stories for this issue are “Running Grudge” which is a little piece of Owl’s Nest history, not to infringe on Nathan William’s territory, and “Work it, Baby!” which hopefully will zing you with some irony.

And finally comes the first installment of “Into the Mist,” my novel about the Wynthrop/Holden legends.  Hopefully you will enjoy the ookiness over the next seven issues.

In the meantime I hope your summer is off to a good start.  We’re having a little heat wave here in Owl’s Nest, which is supposed to break next week.  Looking forward to that.

In the meantime, read, read, read!  Hopefully you’ll get some chills to keep you cool in the summer sun.

By the way, Happy Fathers’ Day to all you dads who are reading!

Chills!

Ter

No comments:

Post a Comment